Best Places for BBQ in Alabama US State
Alabama is known for many things: the Auburn Tigers, the Crimson Tide, and of course, the amazing barbeque we all know and love. It is no wonder that Alabama BBQ is a big deal in the south. With so many great BBQ joints all over the state. It is difficult for these joints to stand out from the rest.
Of course, there is no shortage of local favorite BBQ joints in Alabama. But there are others out there that are so good you can’t help but rave about them. So, we’ve traveled through Alabama and gathered up all the best BBQ joints we could find. Enjoy!
A Little About Alabama State
Alabama is a state of the United States that is located in the Southeastern region of the country. The 30th largest American state is bordered by Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, and the Gulf of Mexico. Alabama is the 24th most crowded of the 50 United States.
The state’s capital and largest city is Huntsville. Which is also the most populous city in the American Southeast. It is the youngest state in the Deep South. The Population of Alabama is 5,024,279, and the total land area of Alabama is 52,419 square miles.
List of 36 Best BBQ Restaurants in Alabama
1. Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL
Dreamland Bar-B-Que’s hickory-smoked barbecue ribs are slow-cooked to perfection. Their ribs are hickory-smoked with the special BBQ sauce until they are finger-licking good. They then pull them off the bone for you, since that is what you are here for. Only the best will do for best BBQ in north Alabama, so chow down on some ribs, Alabama style.
- Founded: 1958
- Founder/Owner: “Big Daddy” John Bishop
- Phone: (256) 539-7427
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 3855 University Dr NW, Huntsville, AL 35816, United States
2. Miss Myra’s Pit Bar B Q in Birmingham, AL
Miss Myra’s Pit BBQ is a Birmingham tradition since 1985. They use the freshest high-quality meats and the slowest cooking process to bring you a product that is cooked just the way you like it.
Miss Myra’s Pit Bar-B-Q is located in Birmingham, Alabama. It is one of the best barbecue restaurants in the southern US. However, it is one of the best restaurants in town.
- Founded: 1985
- Founder/Owner: Myra Grissom Harper
- Phone: 205-967-6004
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 3278 Cahaba Heights Rd, Birmingham, AL 35243, United States
3. Moe’s Original BBQ in Montgomery, AL
Moe’s Original Bar B Que is a chain of comfy barbecue restaurants that offers an extensive menu of slow-cooked meats and fresh-baked bread. Located in Montgomery, Alabama, along with over 53 locations in the United States. Moe’s offers something to satisfy everyone at your party.
Serving true Alabama barbecue, this BBQ restaurant is home to a great atmosphere and even better food. Moe’s Original BBQ is a must-visit for barbecue lovers and anyone looking for a good time.
They have amazing BBQ with really fast service. They make the best BBQ sauce I have ever tasted. Their sides Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Marinated Slaw, Mac, Cheese, and Banana Pudding are also attractive.
- Founded: 1988
- Founder/Owner: Hill Lubin and Richard Boyles (Original founders of Moe’s BBQ are Ben Gilbert, Mike Fernandez, and Jeff Kennedy)
- Phone: (334) 676-1978
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 1051 E Fairview Ave, Montgomery, AL 36106, United States
4. Meat Boss, Cottage Hill in Mobile, AL
The Meat Boss Cottage Hill is a family-friendly, casual dining restaurant in Mobile, Alabama, serving barbecue dishes for lunch and dinner. Meat Boss is one of Alabama’s premier BBQ restaurants, serving up tasty BBQ food that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
You can find BBQ in some unlikely places. Meat Boss BBQ is more than a place that serves BBQ. It is a place that serves up some of the best BBQ that the state of Alabama has to offer. The popular eatery is located in the charmingly historic district of Cottage Hill, Alabama.
- Founded: December 2012
- Founder/Owner: Benny Chinnis
- Phone: (251) 591-4842
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 5401 Cottage Hill Rd, Mobile, AL 36609, United States
5. Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ in Tuscaloosa, AL
Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ’s mouth-watering BBQ sandwiches are piled high with juicy smoked meats, mouthwatering sides, and scrumptious desserts that’ll have you coming back for seconds, thirds, and even fourths!
It was established in 1985 by Jim and Nick, and its first location was opened in Birmingham, Alabama. Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ has 38 locations in the Southeast, including the original location in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The menu at Jim ‘N Nick’s is extensive, with many types of barbecue sauce, sides, and meats.
- Founded: 1985
- Founder/Owner: Nick and his dad Jim
- Phone: 205-469-2060
- Address: 305 21st Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401, United States
6. Full Moon Bar-B-Que in Hoover, AL
Full Moon Bar-B-Que is a place you want to visit if you are in Hoover, AL. Full Moon Bar-B-Que has a full menu available for lunch and dinner, or you can order by the pound.
Best BBQ in Hoover Alabama, Full Moon Bar-B-Que has been serving up Alabama’s best Barbeque since 1986. The Malouff brothers David and Joe are the owners of Full Moon. Full Moon Bar-B-Que has been recognized as one of the top Barbeque establishments in the Southeast.
- Founded: 1986
- Founder/Owner: David and Joe
- Phone: (205) 822-6666
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 2000 Patton Chapel Rd, Hoover, AL 35216, United States
7. Bow & Arrow BBQ Restaurant in Auburn, AL
You can come on out to the Bow & Arrow for the best BBQ in Auburn, AL. They use their special family recipes to make the best beef, chicken, and seafood in the state.
Bow & Arrow BBQ Restaurant is an Alabama landmark. Since its inception in August 2013. It has become a favorite go-to destination for meat lovers. The BBQ is owned and operated by David Bancroft and his wife Christin. The BBQ restaurant is famous for its pit-smoked bacon, meats, hot sides, and southern hospitality.
- Founded: August 2013
- Founder/Owner: David Bancroft and his wife Christin
- Phone: (334) 246-2546
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 1977 East Samford Avenue, Auburn, AL 36830, United States
8. Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in Dothan, AL
If you are traveling to Dothan, Alabama, be sure to stop by Dickey’s Barbecue Pit, where they are known for their delicious signature sauces and hickory-smoked meats. Dickey’s is open every day of the week.
Best BBQ in Dothan Alabama, Dickey’s Barbecue Pit is a barbecue restaurant chain based in the United States. It operates in the South, Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, Northwest, and California.
Dickey’s Barbecue Pit was founded by Travis Dickey, a World War II veteran. This is a family-owned business that has grown to more than 500 locations in 45 states in America.
- Founded: 1941 in Dallas, Texas
- Founder/Owner: Travis Dickey
- Phone: (833) 940-3274
- Address: 2115 East Main St Ste 8, Dothan, AL 36301, United States
9. Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, AL
Located on Decatur’s US Highway 31, Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q is a favorite tourist attraction and a tradition among locals, alike. The restaurant is named after Bob Gibson, who started serving his simple, yet delicious recipe for barbecue many years ago. Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q’s tradition of turning out superb barbecue has been carried on by Bob’s descendants, who still use the same recipes and methods that he perfected so many years ago.
Since 1925, Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama, has been serving up great food, great service, and a great experience. This restaurant has won many awards, but the biggest award of all is the honor of having its name on the lips of its guests. Because for this restaurant, serving award-winning BBQ is only the beginning.
- Founded: 1925
- Founder/Owner: Bob Gibson
- Phone: 256-350-0404; 256-350-6969
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 2520 Danville Road SW, Decatur, AL 35603, United States
10. ChuckWagon BBQ in Madison, AL
Chuckwagon BBQ in Madison Alabama is a small, family-owned BBQ restaurant that is located in a small town of about 49,327 people. It is founded in 2004 by Mike Holley. They have been around for a while and have a lot of locals who come for their great brisket, pulled beef, and ribs. They have great sides and a homemade sauce that is delicious. The meat has a lot of flavors and is tender. ChuckWagon BBQ is one of the best BBQ in North Alabama.
- Founded: 2004
- Founder/Owner: Mike Holley
- Phone: (256) 772-5179
- Address: 8048 Highway 72 W, Madison, AL 35757, United States
11. 306 Barbecue in Florence, AL
- Founded: 2011
- Founder/Owner: Justin Burgreen, Lee Noah and Whitney Skipworth
- Phone: (256) 766-5665
- Address: 322 N Court St, Florence, AL 35630, United States
12. Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint in Vestavia Hills, AL
- Founded: October 2006
- Founder/Owner: Pat Martin
- Phone: 205 715 8999
- Address: 3029 Pump House Rd, Vestavia Hills, AL 35243, United States
13. Mike & Ed’s Bar-B-Q in Phenix City, AL
- Founded: 1985
- Founder/Owner: Mike Gullat and Ed Cook
- Phone: (334) 297-1012
- Address: 2001 Crawford Road, Phenix City, AL 36867, United States
14. Rock’s Famous BBQ in Prattville, AL
- Founded: 2018
- Phone: (334) 224-8903
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 307 S Memorial Dr, Prattville, AL 36067, United States
15. Pruett’s Bar-B-Q in Gadsden, AL
- Founded: 1976
- Founder/Owner: Stan Pruett
- Phone: +1 256-547-4118
- Address: 1617 Rainbow Dr #5380, Gadsden, AL 35901, United States
16. L.A. Barbeque in Summerdale, AL
- Founder/Owner: Jeff and Aimee Frazier
- Phone: 251 947 8722
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 603 AL-59, Summerdale, AL 36580, United States
17. Local Joe’s in Rainbow City, AL
- Founded: 2009
- Founder/Owner: Jodie Stanfield, Bob and Ann McNeal
- Phone: (256) 438-5179
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 4967 Rainbow Dr, Rainbow City, AL 35906, United States
18. Bob Sykes Bar-B-Q in Bessemer, AL
- Founded: 1957
- Founder/Owner: Bob and Maxine Sykes
- Phone: (205) 426-1400
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 1724 9th Avenue North, Bessemer, AL 35020, United States
19. Rusty’s Bar-B-Q in Leeds, AL
- Founded: February 2009
- Founder/Owner: Rusty Jonathan Tucker
- Phone: (205) 699-4766
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 7484 Parkway Drive, Leeds, AL 35094, United States
20. Johnny’s Bar-B-Q in Cullman, AL
- Founded: 1963
- Founder/Owner: Johnny Graves
- Phone: 2567348539
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 1401 4th St SW, Cullman, AL 35055, United States
21. Phil’s BBQ in Eufaula, AL
- Founded: 1991
- Founder/Owner: Dennis and Ellen Durrance
- Phone: (334) 687-3337
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 534 South Randolph Avenue, Eufaula, AL 36027, United States
22. Lawlers Barbecue in Athens, AL
- Founded: 1978 in Tennessee
- Founder/Owner: Phillip Lawler and Jerry Lawler
- Phone: 256-233-1818
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 1506 Highway 72 East Athens, AL 35611, United States
23. Saw’s BBQ in Homewood, AL
- Founded: 2009
- Founder/Owner: Mike Wilson
- Phone: (205) 879-1937
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 1008 Oxmoor Road, Homewood, AL 35209, United States
24. Top Hat Barbecue in Blount Springs, AL
- Founded: 1967
- Founder/Owner: Dale Pettit
- Phone: 256 352 9919
- Address: 8725 US Highway 31, Blount Springs, AL, United States
25. Jim’s Hwy 82 BBQ in Billingsley, AL
- Founded: 1970
- Founder/Owner: Jim Lenoir
- Phone: 334-366-4284
- Address: 3657 Highway 82 W, Billingsley, AL 36006, United States
26. Camp 31 BBQ in Brewton, AL
- Founded: 1985
- Founder/Owner: Larry Murphy
- Phone: 251 867 2486
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 222 St Joseph Avenue, Brewton, AL 36426, United States
27. Brooks Barbeque in Muscle Shoals, AL
- Founded: 1965
- Founder/Owner: Lucille and Sammie Brooks Sr.
- Phone: 256-381-1491
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 203 Union Ave, Muscle Shoals, AL 35661, United States
28. Porky’s Pride Smokehouse in Warrior, AL
- Founded: 2016
- Founder/Owner: Nick Carpenter
- Phone: (205) 289-4270
- Address: 1128 AL-160 Suite B, Warrior, AL 35180, United States
29. Cooter Brown’s Rib Shack in Jacksonville, AL
- Founded: April 2000
- Founder/Owner: Tim and Barbara Johnson
- Phone: 256 435 1514
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 8464 Alabama Hwy 204, Jacksonville, Alabama 36265, United States
30. Marie’s BBQ House in Heflin, AL
- Founder/Owner: Dorothy Robinson
- Phone: 256 463 3636
- Address: 1414 Almon St, Heflin, AL 36264, United States
31. Archibald’s in Northport, AL
- Founded: 1962
- Founder/Owner: George and Betty Archibald
- Phone: (205) 345-6861
- Address: 1211 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Northport, AL 35476, United States
32. Down South BBQ in Foley, AL
- Founded: 2007
- Founder/Owner: Kenny Williams
- Phone: 251 955 6622
- Address: 19891 County Road 10 Foley, Alabama 36535, United States
33. The Shack in Evergreen, AL
- Founder/Owner: Tina
- Phone: 251-578-0046
- Address: 281 Highway 83, Evergreen, AL 36401, United States
34. Kendall’s BBQ in Georgiana, AL
- Founder/Owner: Kendall Bozeman
- Phone: 334 376 0055
- Address: 2076 W State Highway 106 I65 Exit 114, Georgiana, AL 36033, United States
35. Partner’s Pit Barbeque in Lineville, AL
- Phone: 256 396 9061
- Address: 89663 AL-9, Lineville, AL 36266, United States
36. Campbells BBQ in Talladega, AL
- Phone: 404 939 5125
- Address: 505 E Battle St, Talladega, AL 35160, United States
Frequently Asked Questions about Best BBQ Joints in Alabama
Alabama has some of the best barbecue restaurants in America that serve the best barbecue in the state.
Alabama is known for both its white sauce and chicken BBQ. Smoked chicken is often seasoned with a white BBQ sauce.
In Alabama, the best ribs can be found in every city in Alabama. But the best Alabama BBQ ribs are served by Dreamland BBQ, Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Que, Archibald’s BBQ, Saw’s BBQ, Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ, and Cooter Brown’s Rib Shack.
One of the most popular food items to eat in Alabama is BBQ. Alabama is the home of the southern barbecue, which is a traditional dish of BBQ chicken, usually served with a variety of sauces. Alabama is known for Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Catfish, Banana Pudding, Boiled Peanuts, and etc.
Some foods that were invented in Alabama are Crab Claws, Oyster Loaf, Gumbo, Punta Clara Pralines, Stuffed Flounder, West Indies Salad, and etc.
Alabama is famous for its fresh seafood, especially the Gulf Coast’s Gulf Coast oysters and the white shrimp of Alabama. Alabama is also famous for its barbecue. One of its most popular, and most widely available, is barbecue made with chicken. Some of the famous foods are Fried Catfish, Pecan Pie, Barbecue, and Fried Chicken.
Alabama is known for growing peaches, but in fact, they are not the best-known fruit of the state. That title goes to the blackberry.
Alabama is recognized for its unusual nicknames. Alabama is nicknamed the Yellowhammer State, Heart of Dixie, and Cotton State.
Overall, the BBQ food options in Alabama are decent, but there are definitely some better ones if you know where to go. We’ve listed some of our favorites above. Feel free to try the ones you like the best. If you find one that is better than the one mentioned, let me know! We’re always looking for a new BBQ.